[Foundation-l] Agreement between WMF and O'Reilly Media about Wikipedia: The Missing Manual on Wikipedia?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 10:00:20 UTC 2009

Hoi,
Let us fist congratulate O'Reilley and John Broughton with their decision to
make their work available to us. This is in my opinion excellent news. The
question where this manual should be is not that straight forward. Wikipedia
NEEDS better help text and this truly puts all this information where it is
most needed; on the English language Wikipedia itself.

When you consider the usability of software, good documentation is definetly
part of it. This justified that this book is on en.wp itself. The least it
will do is spark attention on our documentation and how the book should be
integrated in our project documentation. I can imagine that the book itself
also gets its place on Wikibooks. The rationale behind that would be that it
survives as a book. This book will need maintenance as does the help text
but they are essentially two different things.
Thanks,
       GerardM