[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 21:05:58 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 7:18 PM, David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:
> My view is that any restriction of distribution that is not absolutely
> and unquestionably legally  necessary is a violation of the moral
> rights of the contributors. We contributed to a free encyclopedia, in
> the sense that the material could be used freely--and widely. We all
> explicitly agreed there could be commercial use, and most of us did
> not particularly concern ourselves with how other commercial or
> noncommercial sites would use or license the material, as long as what
> we put on Wikipedia could be used by anyone.

David, I think there are many people (myself included) who think that
goes too far.

Personally, I care whether or not reusers attempt to follow the spirit
of the copyleft and make their changes and contributions available for
future reuse.  If we wanted to be truly free, we would all license our
work into the public domain, but instead we work under a copyleft and
I consider honoring that distinction to be important.

-Robert Rohde