[Foundation-l] CIA/NSA development of mediawiki (was: Wikia leasing office space to WMF)

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 03:32:22 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 10:27 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wouldn't bet on that

No offense intended, but I'm curious: do you do any software development?

> The case was the wikia case with the CIA replacing wikia. How close
> would we be prepared to let WMF people get to the CIA. In theory as
> long as the people in question don't have direct access to the WMF
> servers there can't be any issues but that is somewhat questionable.

Personally I would see no problem with any degree of association
between Wikimedia and the CIA, as long as it didn't compromise
transparency or anything.  Then again, I'm a neocon and have no
objections to the CIA whatsoever.  I'm not sure if the CIA was meant
to be an example of an indisputably evil organization, because it
doesn't work for me.