[Foundation-l] Wikia leasing office space to WMF

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 02:52:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Wikia, as was said elsewhere, is one of the
> > biggest Mediawiki users out there and therefore has, in my opinion,
> > probably the best incentive to make sure that Mediawiki develops in a
> > way that makes sense for the users.
>

> And what better way to do that then to have people come down to the Wikia
> office and work on improving Wikia's software, while the Wikimedia
> Foundation pays for not only the developers, but rent on the space they use
> while developing!

This is a bizarre attitude.  Mediawiki is an open source software package.
Everyone should benefit from improvements, and we should take any
opportunity to cooperate with any company willing to invest time and money
into helping with that.

The suggestion that we should not cooperate with Wikia in this improvement
is absurd.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com