[Foundation-l] Wikia leasing office space to WMF

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Sat Jan 24 02:52:08 UTC 2009

2009/1/23 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
> 2009/1/24 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
>> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com>wrote:

My reply isn't specific to what Thomas wrote; this is a general
comment on this thread.  I've been reading it with a lot of interest,
and there are a couple of things I'd like to add to what's already
been said.

First, I want to be clear – it was my decision to sublet the space
from Wikia. I believe it's the right thing for Wikimedia :-)

It's the right decision from a practical standpoint, for the reasons
outlined earlier by Erik and others. And beyond that, I also believe
it is appropriate and reasonable for the Wikimedia Foundation and
Wikia to have a normal working relationship – one that is neither
overly entangled, nor exaggeratedly distant.  Wikia does not do
exactly what we do, but it does similar work.  It makes sense for us
to have a collegial, friendly relationship with Wikia, exactly as we
do with dozens of other organizations who do work that is similar to
ours, or aligned with it.

I would also say that I am happy we're talking about this, and I hope
the people asking questions are finding the answers reasonably
reassuring :-)