[Foundation-l] Wikia leasing office space to WMF

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 23 21:11:01 UTC 2009

2009/1/23 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
> I'm curious, how did that happen exactly? You didn't get the office
> that long ago and most of the recent hires have been planned a fair
> amount of time in advance.

Growth can be unpredictable for a number of reasons - changing
assumptions about capacity needs, revenue, etc.; the normal
unpredictable factors in any hiring process, etc. This is all expected
and normal for an organization that was, last year, essentially in
start-up mode. The Stanton usability grant, specifically, was not a
planned or anticipated opportunity: we always expected that we'd be
doing significant work in that area, but we were lucky to find a
funder whose goals were lined up with ours to allow this to happen on
a larger scale and sooner than we expected.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation