[Foundation-l] Wikia leasing office space to WMF

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 23 20:57:19 UTC 2009

The issue is pretty plain and simple:
* Our Office Manager explored several options, including Wikia;
* We've suggested to Wikia a fair market rate based on the average of
the other options we obtained;
* After some negotiation, Wikia accepted. Weighing other pros and cons
of the space against other options, we decided to go with Wikia;
* Neither Jimmy Wales nor anyone else involved with both WMF and Wikia
was involved in this decision-making process, to avoid any conflict of
interest.

I know that Wikia/WMF related stuff is pretty exciting, but really, we
have work to do. We're not going to not make a decision that is right
just because it creates fodder for trolling. (And I hope that if this
turns into a troll-fest, the list moderators will take appropriate
action.)
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation