[Foundation-l] Re-licensing

Michael Bimmler mbimmler at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 17:49:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm sorry, Thomas, but until people learn to use jurisprudential
>>> concepts such as "moral rights" properly, I have a moral obligation to
>>> point out where they are used mistakenly.
>>

>> You have a moral obligation?  I thought you dismissed morality as a
>> religious belief for which there is no evidence in the physical world.
>>
>> Or is it merely the concept that we ought to give credit to authors that you
>> deem to be religious in nature?
>
> This discussion has descended far below the threshold of usefulness
> now. If there's nothing else to talk about besides thinly-veiled ad
> hominems and "I know more philosophy then you" mental masturbation,
> could this discussion please go off-list?

Hear, hear.  I'm glad that I can respond to Andrew's post here,
because if I had been replying to either Thomas, Anthony or Mike the
following would have seemed to be directed at someone specifically,
which it is not:

Please Stop It.

This thread used to be on the "Re-licensing" issue, which is an issue
many people are interested it. Thus, you can't even bring up the usual
"Well, it's off-topic, but everyone can filter it out of their inbox
by a subject-filter" counter-argument, because many people actually
*do* care about the Re-licensing and do not intend at all to filter it
out of their inbox. What has happened, though, is that the thread has
first been hijacked by a discussion about "moral rights" and other
legal and philosophical concepts (which I myself found at least
interesting, if completely off-topic) and now, it has gone down to a
rather pathetic "I have studied philosophy, you have no clue." "I
don't need to have studied philosophy to have a clue." "I have studied
Mathematics and you are a bad philosopher" type of chat, which is an
absolute no-go.

Really, take it offlist. I hope I don't need to enforce this plea
because I'm not actually in the mood to do so.

Michael

--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler at gmail.com