[Foundation-l] [Wikipedia-l] vro

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Jan 23 16:08:21 UTC 2009

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> When we were to move away from a set of URL's from et to ekk, a
> generic redirect from et to ekk will suffice because there will
> be a one on one relation. The et named articles will never be
> used for anything else. This is true because this is how the
> standard works.

The very point of the suggestion to change no.wikipedia into
nb.wikipedia is that Nynorsk extremists want to *deny* the Bokmål
majority the privilege of using the common "no" code as theirs.

The agenda of these extremists has no room for allowing redirects
from no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo to nb.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo,
because that would perpetuate the Bokmål oppression.  In the
discussions, even the word "occupation" has been used. In their
mind, the no.* URL should force the reader to pick either the
Bokmål or Nynorsk article.  That is, to stop and consider that
there are more versions of Norwegian than Bokmål.  There must be
no default.  If there is a default (a redirect), then today's
naming would seem OK.

As long as we recognize Nynorsk speakers some "right" to claim
that "no" is theirs (too), our naming of sites will continue to
get hijacked by such extremists.  Our only escape is to refuse to
recognize the political meaning of language codes in our domain
names, and instead treat them as being just domain names that once
assigned should not be changed unless for really good reasons.
(Changing fiu-vro to the shorter vro can be a good reason, but
changing et to ekk is not.)

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)