[Foundation-l] Re-licensing

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 23 15:24:38 UTC 2009

Anthony writes:

>>> Sure, but I'm not in a jurisdiction that indisputably recognizes the
>>> right
>>> to attribution.
>>
>> Okay, so why are you invoking rights that you don't have?
>>

> Please read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_rights,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_rights_(copyright_law), and
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_rights

Please understand that I am entirely familiar with the notions of
"moral rights" and "natural rights." (I suspect I am more familiar
with this notions than you are.)

> Just because a right isn't recognized, does not mean that I do not
> have it.

I have a right to your house.   Oh, sure, it's not recognized by
anyone, but I promise I have it!

> Sometimes I wonder whether you're being intentionally obtuse.  How
> in the
> world could a lawyer familiar with constitutional law not know that?
> Seriously, that's appalling.

I suppose it is appalling to anyone who cherishes naive notions about
the meaning of a specialized term like "moral rights" that other
people may choose not to employ them naively. To be frank, those of us
who actually have to work with such terms don't have the luxury of
using them sloppily and naively.

--Mike