[Foundation-l] Re-licensing

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 01:22:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/1/23 George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com>:
> > On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com
> >wrote:

> >> I think unless that is opt-out, not opt-in, it won't help and if it's
> >> opt-out if probably won't make things much easier.
> >>

> > Why?
> >
> > If we assert a default "sense of the community" that the URL is
> reasonable,
> > and allow individual authors to override that (and consequently annoy
> > readers and redistributors in the future) how does that negatively affect
> > any author's rights or property?
>
> Either it's reasonable, or it's not. If you feel the need to give
> people the option of opting out, then obviously you think it isn't
> reasonable. Also, why should people that have edited in the past and
> then moved on not get the same rights as current editors?

No, I think it is reasonable.  If I were the License Czar we'd just do that
and be done with it.

But this is a community, with some people with aggressively diverse
opinions.  Imposing from above without flexibility causes pain and suffering
and hurt feelings and people leaving the project and firey poo-flinging
monkeys on UFOs to descend from the heavens.

I think that overall, we have to do something like the proposed CC-BY-SA-3.0
details to balance author, reader, project, and content reuser interests,
and I believe that that's ultimately not negotiable.

Optimizing the implementation of BY so that people who agree that GFDL -> CC
is good but who disagree on the BY credit-by-web approach can still stay
included, while still balancing reader and project and content reuser needs
with author needs, is a good thing.  A default to the reasonable approach,
with exception allowed for objectors, works fine for that.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com