[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Thu Jan 22 23:05:06 UTC 2009

geni writes:

> In any case vagueness has it's uses since any attempt to try and
> define everything will tend to  result in the license either failing
> or behaving in a very unhelpful manner under certain conditions.

I like to think Kurt Gödel had some important observations in this
regard.

One of the things I see as a lawyer and as a student in philosophy is
the attempt in the GFDL to cover every possible use case with
specificity -- this effort is not wholly incomparable to the effort to
explain all of mathematics in terms of logic and set theory.

--Mike