[Foundation-l] Re-licensing

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Thu Jan 22 22:17:30 UTC 2009

Anthony writes:

>> So, online but on a different server is okay, but online when there's
>> an offline copy isn't?
>

> Online when there's an offline copy clearly isn't okay.

Clearly because you have a legal right that distinguishes between
online copies and offline copies?  Please explain. (Once again, I'm
asking about legal rights because you claim to be basing your
objections on your rights.)

>> What is the legal distinction you're drawing
>> here? (I ask for the "legal distinction" because you are articulating
>> your concern in terms of what you purport to be violations of your
>> legal rights.)
>>

> Actually, I'm purporting them to be violations of my moral rights.

How are you distinguishing between "moral rights" and "legal rights"?
A moral right is a kind of legal right, in those jurisdictions that
recognize moral rights.

> But the
> distinction is pretty obvious - in one case the page is a click
> away, in the
> other case it at least requires finding internet access and typing
> in a url,
> and quite possibly requires jumping through even more hoops than that.

So if you were unhappy that your attribution was at the back of a
book, because a reader has to turn to the end and read through a lot
of small print in order to find your name, that would give you a basis
for objecting to that form of attribution?

> Additionally, printed copies will almost surely last longer than the
> url
> remains accessible.  With online copies, the url can be updated if
> it moves,
> or the page can be copied to the local server if the remote one goes
> down.

Thank you for articulating an advantage to using URLs. The advantage
of course applies both to online and offline copies.

>> But an online attribution on a separate page (or server) when the
>> article is offline is *not*
>> "direct"?  What is the legal (or "rights") basis for this
>> distinction?
>
> Common sense?

So you're saying your legal rights are defined by "common sense"? Are
you sure that's the direction in which you want to take your argument?

--Mike