[Foundation-l] Re-licensing

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Thu Jan 22 22:04:06 UTC 2009

Anthony writes:

> Come to think of it, forking under GFDL 1.3 would probably be the most
> appropriate.  Then, since Wikipedia intends to dual-license new
> content, new
> Wikipedia content could be incorporated into the fork, but new forked
> content couldn't be incorporated into Wikipedia.

You haven't reviewed the FAQ.  As Richard Stallman explains, CC-BY-SA-
only changes, including imports from external sources, will bind
Wikipedia and re-users of Wikipedia content.

That said, I look forward to your fork. Why wait? Why don't you start
now? You clearly are dissatisfied with Wikipedia's implementation of
GFDL as well as Wikipedia's proposed use of CC-BY-SA.  It should be
easy, since you throw around the word "fork" so easily. You could
probably squash us even more effectively than Citizendium and Knol have.

(BTW, one benefit of the licensing proposal is that it will be easier
for Wikipedia and Citizendium to cross-fertilize each other.)

> "A free encyclopedia without the plagiarism" would be a better slogan,
> though I'm sure a little thought could produce an even better one.

You are a marketing genius.

> Depends on the traffic.  Pure hard drive space is relatively cheap.
> More
> traffic would lead to more expense, but it'd also likely lead to more
> donations.

You obviously have this all figured out. I can't wait to see your fork.

--Mike