[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 20:17:22 UTC 2009

> Because radio broadcasts have far shorter credit lists. Yeah to an
> extent you can do it with CDs but for 45s that is right out. However
> the license itself specifies "Reasonable to the medium or means" so
> this does not present a problem.

Surely you couldn't fit a read out version of [[France]] onto a 45?
What matters is how much space (in what medium) the credits take in
comparison to the content. Reading the credits to [[France]] may take
quite a while compared to reading the article (maybe half as long?
Possibly less, especially if you read the names pretty quickly), but
media big enough to hold the whole article read out will probably be
big enough to still have plenty of room to spare (reading the article
might take, what, 30 mins? Can you think of a medium that can hold 30
mins of audio but not 45?). (These numbers are all guesses, I've never
done any recording like this, so I don't know how long it's likely to
end up being, but these figures should give a reasonable impression, I
think.)

> So "to clarify that attribution via reference to page histories is
> acceptable if there are more than five authors" is an attempt to fix a
> non problem using means of highly questionable legality under the
> terms of the license and non US law as well is deny wikipedia authors
> effective credit.
>
> It also prevents us from bringing in CC-BY-SA from third party sources
> which makes it further unacceptable.

Yeah, that's about it.