[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Jan 22 15:04:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I think you and I both know that your whole business of saying there
> are "over 100" versions of CC-BY-SA was an attempt to try to create
> ambiguity and anxiety when there isn't really any.

No, I could have accomplished quite the same point by saying that there are
"over 50" versions, which is clearly true (I'm actually still not convinced
that "over 100" isn't correct - I counted 92 just between 2.5 and 3.0, but I
may have double-counted, there doesn't seem to be a clear list of them all).

My point still stands.  There are many versions of CC-BY-SA 3.0.  The
proposal should be specific as to which one(s) it is talking about.  Adding
the words "any version of" or "all versions of" or "the Unported version of"
or "the US version of" would make this clear.