[Foundation-l] Commons and The Year of the Picture

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Thu Jan 22 14:20:42 UTC 2009

> i dont think the argument here is that people can make money from commons
> and the pictures etc, its the fact (as i see it) that a commercial site
> has
> a link from the french wikipedia side bar to their site to make a profit.
> what is the difference between this and link spamming and advertising.

Well, this is one point. Another point is, as far as I know, Wikimedia.fr,
which benefits from the commercial use, does not transfer money to support
other projects. I would not object to commercial use of MY pictures if I
knew that the profit is in a transparent (like donations) way invested in
the infrastructure of the whole foundation. So far, I have not seen any
evidence that this is the case. On the contrary, the main argument in the
discussion was "We have decided to do it in French Wikipedia, and Meta has
nothing to say about this".

>I disagree that 800x600 is perfectly fine
>> because,
>> it may be fine for online content but it is not fine when printed.

Not really, I can print it out and it works fine. But not as a poster of
course.

Cheers
Yaroslav