[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 01:03:18 UTC 2009

2009/1/22 Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>:
> 2009/1/21 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
>> Whether or not something is sufficient to comply with licensing
>> requirements isn't something that can be decided democratically.
>
> We're operating in a space with a high degree of ambiguity. The point
> would be to determine whether there's a clear and shared expectation
> of what constitutes reasonable attribution requirements or not. It
> would be an information gathering poll, rather than a decision-making
> vote.

You need to be very careful how you interpret it, since it's a
self-selecting sample. The people sufficiently committed to the
projects to vote (eg. not people that edited once or twice and then
left) are more likely than the general population of editors to be
tolerant of bending the rules for the benefit of the projects, I would
think.