[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

Michael Peel email at mikepeel.net
Wed Jan 21 22:01:28 UTC 2009

Scenario 1: An article from Wikipedia is used elsewhere (be it on or
offline), with a link to the history of the page. The article is
subsequently deleted from Wikipedia (e.g. accidentally and
irretrievably).

Scenario 2: Wikipedia ceases to exist in its current form. Its
content is hosted elsewhere, but no link exists from the former
location of the history page to the new location.

In either of those scenarios (and there's lots of other
possibilities), the attribution ceases to be meaningful or useful.

In my opinion, attribution of all authors is preferable, and
technically achievable.* Where that is not possible, e.g. due to
space restrictions, then naming the key N authors is acceptable (and
it should also be technically achievable to provide that abbreviated
list). Including "Wikipedia" in the attribution is very reasonable,
but not as the sole word. Providing a single URL only, which may stop
working in the future, is not acceptable (although it would be
acceptable as an accompaniment).

Mike

* If you don't want this cluttering up the footer, then simply have
an "Authors" tab along the lines of the existing history tab. Or some
sort of "Reuse this page" link with reuse instructions/guidelines on
it, along the lines of "Cite this page"