[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Wed Jan 21 17:09:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Anthony writes:
>
>> "the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License"
>>
>> There are over 100 Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike Licenses.
>
> [citation needed]

There are 74 due to versioning and jurisdiction ports, see
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/index.rdf

Apologies for lack of an HTML version of that list.

In any case, http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update and all
previous discussion I've seen makes it clear the specific license
considered is http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Everywhere CC BY and BY-SA licenses are currently used (Wikinews and
Commons) care has been taken to cite the specific version used.  I
would be incredibly surprised if the same care was not exercised if
BY-SA is adopted as the main content license.

Mike