[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Attribution and Relicensing

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 19:26:59 UTC 2009

2009/1/20 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
>> Assuming a large number of authors on Citizendium. Use the export
>> function there to provide the file in a useful format and reactivate
>> the import function on en to export it (at a pinch is should be
>> possible to put together a script that can grab the relevant
>> information and turn it into a file suitable for import to wikipedia
>> without having to use the export function).
>>

> That would destroy the usability of diffs.

Can be got around by editing the date entries in the XLM file

>>  How would a third party go about using
>> > the combined work?
>>
>> Depends on the context.
>

> In the context of a printed book using an article which was 60% originated
> in Wikipedia, 20% originated in Citizendium, and 20% originated by the book
> authors?

The oversimplified answer is the same credit as the authors of the
original content get. You still don't provide enough detail (book is a
very imprecise term in some respects) to answer the less
oversimplified version.

So:

Is the book continuous prose or broken into separate sections?
If separate sections do the sections have content from more than one
wikipedia/Citizendium article in them?
Is the wikipedia/Citizendium content text or pics (or sound there are
a couple of ways to do it)?
Is the wikipedia/Citizendium content integrated into the rest of the
text or more standalone?

There are probably other issues to consider.

If the change to CC-BY-SA goes through I will be proposing a new
wikimedia project to record what authors and reuses consider
acceptable (and what people actually do if that happens) in terms of
attribution for every form of reuse we can think of.

--
geni