[Foundation-l] Board resolutions (chapters)

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 09:40:38 UTC 2009

Michael Snow wrote:
> Florence Devouard wrote:
>> For example, on meta, Wikimedia NYC is listed as chapters, not
>> subchapters. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_New_York_City. And
>> the name does not clarify the difference either (it could have been
>> mandatory that names used be of the type Wikimedia + Country + blabla).
>>
> It is a chapter.

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Approval_of_Wikimedia_New_York_City

So... the resolution stating that "The Board of Trustees officially
recognizes Wikimedia NYC as a Sub-National Chapter " should actually be
read as "The Board of Trustees officially recognizes Wikimedia NYC as a
  Chapter "

?

Jeeee....

  The division indicated by the "sub" in sub-national
> chapters is in the nation, not necessarily in the chapter. There is no
> chapter for Wikimedia NYC to be a subchapter of. People are welcome to
> use Wikimedia US-NYC (or NYC-US, it doesn't matter to me) where the
> designation of sub-national chapter is important, though.
>> I know some guidelines circulated internally, but I do believe it should
>> not only be internal. I went to the resolution authorizing its
>> recognition as a sub-chapter
>> (http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Approval_of_Wikimedia_New_York_City)
>> and I found reference to "Wikimedia Foundation: A Framework for
>> Encouraging the Development of Sub-National Chapters", but no idea where
>> to find this document.
> I believe I shared the FAQ on this list earlier, but I've taken a copy
> and put it on Meta at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sub-national_chapters

okay, I added the link to the wmf:local chapter page, so that everyone
navigating from the resolution page to the local chapter page, can find
the meta page.

Ant