[Foundation-l] Board resolutions (chapters)

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 09:32:11 UTC 2009

Not at all. There's no reason that the national and subnational chapters
have to perform the same functions. It's entirely possible that the national
chapter can serve as an organizational and facilitating umbrella for
subnational chapters.

As to your arguments that having a NY chapter obviates the need for other
subnational US chapters, I disagree. There are plenty of reasons why a
person outside of NY would want to become a member of a US subnational
chapter other than NY; location not the least of them.

-Dan

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 4:26 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hoi,
> So in essence by having a New York chapter, it became impossible to have an
> USA chapter? Or do we need to propose an Amsterdam sub chapter that will
> get
> all the trimmings like New York? The argument that the USA is so big is not
> that strong either, we could have a Moscow sub chapter or one for Bombay.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>

> 2009/1/20 Ting Chen <wing.philopp at gmx.de>
>
> > Gerard Meijssen schrieb:
> > > Hoi,
> > > When the New York people get their chapter, they are part of the USA
> > legal
> > > system. It makes sense imho opinion to have a NY chapter if this is
> > > necessary to organise things that require a legal setting. Things like
> > > charitable donations. If these aspects are not relevant, there is no
> real
> > > need to have a chapter. It is then more of a society.
> > >
> > > When a "chapter" like New York is allowed then there is in essence
> > nothing
> > > to have another "sub chapter "in another country.. In the end when it
> is
> > all
> > > about community and community activity, an Amsterdam chapter is as
> valid
> > as
> > > a Dutch chapter right ?
> > > Thanks,
> > >        GerardM
> > >

> > Not quite. One criteria is that the chapters should have well defined
> > geographical areas and they should not overlap. So an Amsterdam chapter
> > beside a Dutch chapter is not possible. On the other hand. A volunteers
> > organization must not be a WMF recognized chapter. The WMF is appreciate
> > of every voluntiers initiative and would like to help if we can and if
> > it is meaningful.
> >
> > Ting

Dan Rosenthal