[Foundation-l] Board resolutions (chapters)

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia-inc.com
Tue Jan 20 08:11:40 UTC 2009

Austin Hair wrote:
> Every chapter has unique
> considerations specific to its social and political circumstances—be
> it Taiwan, Serbia, Hong Kong, or New York City—but, as far as we're
> concerned, there's no such thing as a second-class chapter.

Speaking only for myself as one board member among many, I agree with
Austin completely.  There can be "subnational chapters" - meaning that
the chapter is concentrated on a region smaller than a nation-state, but
they are not 'sub-chapters'.

The New York City metropolitan area:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_metropolitan_area

has 18.8 million people.

This is slightly larger than the Netherlands:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands

at 16.4 million.

The world is not necessarily carved up geopolitically in a manner that
would make it at all make sense to declare one nation/one chapter.

It's a subtle matter with many factors that have to be thoughtfully
balanced.

--Jimbo