[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Attribution and Relicensing

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun Jan 18 05:46:16 UTC 2009

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
> But in terms of pictures, photographs is a very very minor
> segment indeed. Discussing the matter solely in terms
> of photographs is very diversionary.

I certainly didn't intend to be diversionary; rather, I'm a bit confused
as to what the vast majority of non-photograph pictures I've mised are.
Aren't the vast majority of the pictures on Wikimedia commons
photographs? How is that a "very very minor segment"? We're discussing
licensing for media files that are part of the Wikimedia project, after all.

What pictures *do* you mean? Heck, our diagrams almost always have a
single author too, from some spot-checking I've done, as do our maps. I
can't think of a single category of works that make up a significant
proportion of Wikimedia-distributed media files that usually have
multiple authors.

-Mark