[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Attribution and Relicensing

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Sat Jan 17 01:03:43 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 1:45 AM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Unlikely? Perhaps - though some people say that the evil reptilian
> kitten eater takeover has already begun. The way around this is to
> formulate attribution requirements that do not require specific
> reference to Wikipedia, but only to the individuals who contributed
> the text.

I appreciate that it is difficult for Wikimeida Foundation to *require*
others to credit Wikipedia, however what I have proposed is that this be
*allowed* as a minimum acceptable standard.

That is, you must at least reference Wikipedia and the article, but it may
be appropriate to additionally *or* alternatively refer to individual
contributor(s).

In your example, this approach would allow Freependium to credit individuals
rather than the kitten eaters, but would not require it so as not to raise
the 'barrier to reuse'.

Sam