[Foundation-l] GFDL Q&A update and question

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Jan 12 18:58:17 UTC 2009

2009/1/11 geni <geniice at gmail.com>:
> The critical term is "reasonable to the medium or means" for mediawiki
> our current method of crediting is probably reasonable to the medium
> or means. For other applications different forms of crediting are
> required. Any 5 author stuff is completely irrelevant.

I never said that CC-BY-SA makes reference to principal authors in a
similar fashion as the GFDL does. Of course it does not. However, it
allows attribution by name and/or by URI, and also states that "The
credit required by this Section 4(c) may be implemented in any
reasonable manner". If, by terms of service of Wikipedia, we ask
contributors to give permission to be attributed by URL under certain
circumstances, this is consistent with the language of CC-BY-SA, and
is consistent with the attribution requirements of GFDL.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation