[Foundation-l] Chinese wikinews in China Blocked

Chen Minqi cnchenminqi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 12:14:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Charlotte Webb
<charlottethewebb at gmail.com>wrote:
>what i meant to say is. at least the english site is still accessible,
>which is odd (i mis-read the subject line) because the latter site has
>quite a bit more anti-PRC content. weird...

Indeed there is a bit more stuff there in en.wikinews, but blocking the
Chinese site only is the usual way they do.

As we know, all wikimedia sites used to be completely blocked in mainland
China since 2005 (temporary blocking started in 2004). When they started to
unblock the wikimedia sites in 2006, they unblocked all the non-Chinese
sites first and later some Chinese projects, such as Chinese Wikitionary.
The Chinese Wikipedia is only unblocked in 2008 due to the international
pressure before the Olympics, yet the content of the site is still censored
and some sensitive keywords will trigger a temporary IP block lasting
approx. 1~2 minutes.