[Foundation-l] How to dismantle a language committee

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Mon Jan 12 02:04:17 UTC 2009

Tim Starling hett schreven:
> Marcus Buck wrote:
>
>> In the Arabic world there's a prevalent POV, that Arabs form one nation
>> united by the use of the Arabic language. But in reality Standard Arabic
>> is something like Latin. With the difference, that Latin fell out of use
>> to make place for the Romance languages. So Egyptian Arabic vs. Standard
>> Arabic is like French vs. Latin. And the Egyptian VIP is like a 13th
>> century monk. "Writing in the language of the people. How stupid...
>> Latin is a godly language."
>>

> I have heard this before, but I am not convinced, because I have heard
> conflicting things from Egyptian people. I don't suppose you have a
> credible reference where I can read more about this, and which supports
> these claims?
>
> -- Tim Starling

There's no obvious or agreed-upon measure for the proximity of dialects
or languages nor for identity attitudes. All findings are inherently vague.
What did you hear conflicting things about? About the big differences
and problems with mutual intelligibility of Arabic dialects or about the
notion of "one Arabic nation"?
Well, that Arabic has a wide variety of different dialects, is obvious,
if we look at the basic facts. Arabic is spoken over an area that spans
thousands of kilometers. Arabic spread from its central area in Arabia
in the 7th century due to the spread of Islam. Since then the dialects
developed different from the standard that didn't change much since then
due to it's liturgical character (just like Latin). Latin was in vulgar
use since about the 1st century. So Latin Vulgar had 2000 years to
change and Arabic Vulgar only 1300 years. Therefore Latin Vulgar should
be roughly 50% more diverse than Arabic Vulgar (Please put the emphasis
on "roughly" cause language change is of course not linear). [English is
spread over a very wide area too and does not show that much variation.
But English spread from England only 400 years ago and most of the
speakers shifted to English only in very recent times. So outside of
England there are no real dialects (and even England is no country with
a pronounced dialectal landscape). Therefore the whole subject of
"dialects" is a very obscure thing to many speakers of English.]
The notion of the "one Arabic nation" is even more vague. We have to
keep in mind, that mentalities do not necessarily differentiate between
different identity-building elements. Identity can be based on
ethnicity, on language, on religion, on common history, on citizenship
or on arbitrary mixtures of these aspects. The most important connecting
element for people in the Middle East is religion. The Islam. The Islam
connects them to people with entirely different languages too. But the
Standard Arabic language  is connected to the Islam also, cause it's the
liturgical language of the Islam. Saying, that Arabic is a macrolanguage
can easily touch religious feelings. That's irrational, but happens. So
there are many different levels of identity and interconnections between
those levels of identity. It's possible, that you talked to Egyptians
and they said "those damned Syrians" or otherwise showed few "Panarabic
loyalty". But that doesn't mean there is no common identity. I'm sure
you will easily find New Yorkers saying "those damned New Jerseyians" or
US Americans saying "those damned Canadians". It's normal to have
animosities with the people you know best, your closest neighbors (cause
there's few reason to be angry about people you have no contact to). But
if it comes to identity or loyalty, New Yorkers and New Jerseyians,
Americans and Canadians, and Egyptians and Syrians will stand close and
stick together.

Marcus Buck