[Foundation-l] GFDL Q&A update and question

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Jan 12 00:11:22 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> There is a legitimate
>> argument that, under a literal reading of the GFDL, any re-user _also_
>> has to include a full copy of the change history.
>

> The problem with that argument is that "the change history" isn't in the
> format or location that "the section entitled 'History' would be".

In fact, while we're talking about intent, wasn't the software
implementation of the change history created before the GFDL was adopted?
It seems to me that the change history couldn't possibly have been intended
to represent the GFDL section entitled history.  In fact, there used to be a
[[Wikipedia:GFDL History]] page provided this.  It wasn't deleted until 28
December 2006.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Miscellany_for_deletion/Wikipedia:GFDL_History_(unofficial)