[Foundation-l] How to dismantle a language committee

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 22:57:22 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, I think there should be not only computer-linguists experts like
>> Evertype in LangCom, but you desperately need people who have good
>> knowledge about culture, sociology and history of the main language
>> groups, or at least you should be ready to ask relevant outside
>> experts. I have a feeling that current LangCom completely ignores
>> historical and cultural background related to language problems which
>> is quite often a key to make resonable decissions.
>
> Actually, it is a misunderstanding of Michael's knowledge. His
> expertise is, for example, making an orthography for a random language
> [without orthography]. In fact, we need exactly his kind of linguists.
> As I mentioned, we are working on raising expertise quality inside of
> LangCom.

And just to be more precise. After a couple of years of interacting
with people in relation to Wikimedia projects, I realized that it is
not so possible to get a random academician and put them into some
Wikimedian working body. Usually, those persons are not so interested.

I see that we have two more options for finding persons with relevant
level of expertise:
* to find Wikimedians with this kind of expertise; or
* that some interested academician contacts us.