[Foundation-l] Why is the software out of reach of the community?

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Sun Jan 11 16:42:49 UTC 2009

I believe this example is an even clearer demonstration of the usability
disaster that is parser functions. And it is just the kind of thing that can
be essentially snuck into MediaWiki without the complete
community consensus. Perhaps that's not the case - I would be interested in
reading a more complete history of the discussions around ParserFunctions if
there are significant details I am missing.

When Guido van Rossum makes a change to Python as seemingly trivial as a
switch statement, he writes a formal description of the change. The change
is then discussed on community mailing lists for a long period of time, and
it is compared directly to other submissions. He then polls the community
regarding the change at his keynote address, and rejects it if there is no
popular support. http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3103/

There absolutely are people out there who would like to have a larger voice
in wiki syntax, WikiCreole comes to mind.  These folks have usability in
mind. ParserFunctions do not.

"*Any changes to the software must be gradual and reversible.* We need to
make sure that any changes contribute positively to the community, as
ultimately determined by everybody in Wikipedia, in full consultation with
the community consensus." -- Jimmy Wales

You have successfully failed!