[Foundation-l] How to dismantle a language committee

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 14:02:48 UTC 2009

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Hoi,
> The current policy is really objective; a request for a project will be
> honoured when it complies with a set of prerequisites.
>
>    - is the language recognised as a language in the ISO-639-3
>    - is the language sufficiently unique
>    - is there a sufficiently large corpus in the incubator
>    - is there a community of a sufficient size so that we can trust the
>    community to do well
>    - are the requirements for localisation met

Just to be clear, I think what you want to really say is that the
criteria are mechanically applied. Of course the choice of
criteria is a separate question and may or may not be
objective. Even a completely mechanically applied set of
criteria can (at least arguendo) be a subjective choice
dependant on ideological biases even of very drastic kinds.

Just because the rules are the same for all, doesn't mean the
rules aren't biased.

I am not making any more pointed comment on the policy as
such, just clarifying the logical structure in the aid of further
discussion.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen