[Foundation-l] Why is the software out of reach of the community?

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Sun Jan 11 03:55:08 UTC 2009

I don't believe the specific technical details that led to the development
of ParserFunctions are all that relevant. It is always possible to implement
a simple 'crash guard', so its not even that great of an excuse.
No single person should have the power to develop and deploy such a thing on
Wikipedia, even with the consensus of a tiny fraction of editors who were
being inconvenienced. Proper thought was simply not given to it, and Jimbo's
statement does not allow for its deployment.

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 8:44 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/1/11 Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu>:
> >> Remember a lot of ParserFunctions was not new functionality per se but
> >> providing a better way to do stuff people had already worked out how
> >> to do with existing functions.
> >
> > The proper way to do this is to provide a better user interface, not to
> add
> > new syntax that takes an already Turing-complete template language to the
> > next level.
>
> Err you've just proposed extending a situation where any admin can
> lock the database for about half an hour.
>

> --
> geni

You have successfully failed!