[Foundation-l] Why is the software out of reach of the community?

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Sun Jan 11 03:20:48 UTC 2009

Thank for your answers.

ParserFunctions are my specific example of how the current development
process is very, very broken, and out of touch with the community.
According to Jimbo's user page (his bolded): "*Any changes to the software
must be gradual and reversible.* We need to make sure that any changes
contribute positively to the community, as ultimately determined by
everybody in Wikipedia, in full consultation with the community consensus."

I believe that the introduction of ParserFunctions to MediaWiki was not done
with community consensus and has led to an extremely  fast devolution in
wiki syntax. Further, the usability of Wikipedia has declined at a rate
proportional to the adoption of parser functions.

Is there *anybody* on this list that is willing to say that this is more
usable than what we had before?
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Infobox&action=raw

I am quite sure that the answer to Wikipedia's usability issues was not
properly taken into concern when ParserFunctions were written. This is based
on a very simple principle that I am following in this discussion:
Improvements in usability in MediaWiki will not happen through the addition
of syntax, but rather the removal of syntax, and the improvement of the User
Interface Design.

I also believe this new grant will help, but I do not believe it will fix a
broken process. I would like to discuss that process further, and how it
could be improved.

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Aryeh Gregor
<Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com<Simetrical%2Bwikilist at gmail.com>

You have successfully failed!