[Foundation-l] How to dismantle a language committee

Muhammad Alsebaey shipmaster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 23:27:09 UTC 2009

So Based on the the Archives Jesse and Casey graciously provided the link
to, the only discussion about Masry I found was:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Language_subcommittee/Archives/2008-07#Wikipedia_Egyptian_Arabic

When I raised the issue of Masry on this mailing list, raising what I
thought was valid concerns, and at the same times others were raising such
concerns on meta, Gerard's response was, and I quote:

I have indicated that the language
> committee was unanimous in deciding that the Egyptian Arabic Wikipedia
> request was eligible.

As indicated earlier, all members of the language
> committee were explicitly asked to consider the issue that you raise. The
> consequence of this is that in my opinion you refuse people the freedom to
> work on a project in their language, languages that are eligible under the
> language policy of the WMF.

Per above link, I see a discussion only between two members (Gerard and
Jon). I am pretty confused how did that constitute a 'unanimous decision'.
Wouldn't that be a gross mis-characterization?

Wouldn't refusal to point me to archived discussion *then*
mis-characterizing what really happened on the list be grounds for some kind
of audit?

Forgive me If I am wrong, but that is the only information I have to work
on, if I am wrong, I apologize to Gerard.

Best Regards,
Muhammad Alsebaey