[Foundation-l] How to dismantle a language committee

Jesse Plamondon-Willard pathoschild at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 22:21:29 UTC 2009

(This message is not an official message from the subcommittee, just
myself as a member.)

Hello Mohamed Magdy,

As a member of the language subcommittee, I am sorry you are
disappointed with our performance, but it is not true that its members
do not care.

The Egyptian Arabic Wikipedia was approved with insufficient
subcommittee discussion, which sparked some changes inside the
subcommittee. For example, we replaced several inactive members to
increase participation, and there is an upcoming proposal for a quorum
to ensure that no other decision can be made without community
consensus.

Subcommittee discussion is publicly archived (except comments by 2
members), as you can see in these relevant discussions:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Language_subcommittee/Archives/2008-11#Subcommittee_dissatisfaction
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Language_subcommittee/Archives/2008-12#Wiktionary_Masry

I am also sorry we are seen as unfair; I have tried to ensure a
universal, objective policy that treats all requests equally. If you
have any suggestions, please let me know.

As for dissolving the subcommittee and recreating it with a different
membership, I would not be opposed.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)