[Foundation-l] Why is the software out of reach of the community?

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Fri Jan 9 23:13:40 UTC 2009

Erik,

I am skeptical of the current development process. That is because it has
led to the current parser, which is not a proper parser at all, and includes
horrifying syntax.

The current usability issue is widespread and goes to MediaWiki's core.
Developers should not have that large of a voice in usability, or you get
what we have now.

We do not even have a parser. I am sure you know that MediaWiki does not
actually parse. It is 5000 lines worth of regexes, for the most part.

In order to solve usability, even for new users, I believe that you must
write a new parser from scratch.

Are you prepared to do that?

You have successfully failed!