[Foundation-l] Why is the software out of reach of the community?

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 22:28:32 UTC 2009

2009/1/9 Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu>:
> Why are so few community-developed mediawiki extensions used by the
> Foundation?
>
> Why do developers have such priviledged access to the source code, and the
> community such little input?
>
> Why must the community 'vote' on extensions such as Semantic MediaWiki, and
> yet the developers can implement any feature they like, any way they like
> it?
>
> Why does the Foundation need 1 million for usability when amazing tools
> continue to be ignored and untested?
>
> Why has the Foundation gone ahead and approved the hire of several employees
> for usability design, when the community has had almost zero input into what
> that design should be?
>
> Why is this tool not being tested on Wikipedia, right now?
> http://wiki.ontoprise.com/ontoprisewiki/index.php/Image:Advanced_ontology_browser.gif

Well... Maybe just because software development requires at least some
basic knowledge of programming, and cannot be performed by voting
only? I guess some feedback from Wikipedia community is welcome - but
quite obviously programmers cannot work in a manner of discussing and
voting every line of code they are assumed to produce...

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/