[Foundation-l] GFDL Q&A update and question

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Fri Jan 9 00:36:04 UTC 2009

Brian wrote:
> And I can't see voting to approve the license switch until an analysis of
> dumps is included in the FAQ. That is how most re-users get the data, and
> what everyone ignores.

Not to dismiss the importance of dumps, certainly, but the reference to
"data" reflects an implicit limitation of the comment to bulk reuse.
Part of the issue here, as part of the free culture movement, is
ensuring that people can use and remix smaller parts. I would venture
that most people who reuse content from Wikimedia projects never go near
the dumps and wouldn't know what to do with them. We don't want to
ignore use of the database for mirrors or research, but it's only part
of the picture.

--Michael Snow