[Foundation-l] GFDL Q&A update and question

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 23:07:00 UTC 2009

2009/1/8 Michael Peel <email at mikepeel.net>:

> On 8 Jan 2009, at 22:16, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>>
>> I don't think that's clear at all. I don't know how many authors you
>> are meant to attribute things to under CC-BY-SA, it may well be all of
>> them. I need to do more research (or, I need someone to tell me the
>> answer!).
>
> My preference would be: all authors that have contributed to the
> article, where that contribution has not been reverted, unless the
> authors say that they don't want to be attributed.

I would agree, except that I would exclude non-creative contributions
(spelling corrections, say). It would probably be easier for a re-user
to include them anyway, though.

>There is a large
> amount of leeway here, though: I think even "Wikipedia" would satisfy
> the license, or on the other scale a complete list of every editor of
> the wiki. The WMF really needs to state up front what the attribution
> should be before we have the vote / start using the license (assuming
> we do).

"Wikipedia" would only satisfy the license if the author specifically
said that was ok. The FAQ says there will not be a requirement to
designate "Wikipedia" or anything else to receive the attribution. I
would expect the attribution requirements to be made perfectly clear
before we vote, if they're not, I would almost certainly vote against
the proposal.