[Foundation-l] GFDL Q&A update and question

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 23:02:25 UTC 2009

> I *think* I was thinking clearly -- I didn't mean to suggest that it
> would be trivial for an editor massively concerned about the
> changeover to remove all his or her edits. Obviously, for some editors
> it would be practically impossible. For others it might be possible,
> and for still others removal of a few edits or articles might be all
> the editor really wants to do.

I guess if you leave it up to the editor to do it themselves, it could
work, although it would still require someone to go along after them
fixing the mess that would inevitably result from removing random
chunks from the middle of articles. There would also be disputes over
how much should be removed - can you remove a word because you
corrected the spelling of it? (probably not) can you remove an entire
sentence because it's an expansion of a sentence that you wrote?
(probably, since there isn't an alternative, but that's going to
really piss off the person that did all the work expanding it) And
then you have to deal with disputes over whether the text that is put
in to replace the removed chunks is sufficiently different so as not
to infringe on the editor's copyright. I think it would end up being a
lot of work for more than just the editor in question.