[Foundation-l] GFDL Q&A update and question

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 22:49:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:
> Who owns the copyright for the selection, coordination or arrangement of the
> dumps?
>
> http://www.copyright.gov/docs/regstat092303.html

You are citing a proposed bill from 2003-04 that never made it to the
floor for a vote.

To the more general point, I would personally argue that Feist v.
Rural [1] applies to the dumps and the selection / arrangement is
ineligible for copyright.  Hence, in my opinion, there is no copyright
for the dump as a whole, though the individual articles in contains
are certainly eligible for copyright.

-Robert Rohde

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feist_Publications_v._Rural_Telephone_Service