[Foundation-l] GFDL Q&A update and question

Alex mrzmanwiki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 22:14:56 UTC 2009

Anthony wrote:
> There are very few offline reusers of Wikipedia content.  I know of none
> that are using more than de minimis portions of my content without
> attributing me.  If you know of any, please, tell me who they are, and I'll
> send a cease and desist to them.
>
> This switch to CC-BY-SA is clearly going to open the door for offline
> reusers to use Wikipedia content without attributing authors beyond listing
> one or more URLs.  In fact, it's quite clear from discussions which have
> taken place on this list that this is the main point of making the switch.
> The WMF condoning and facilitating such behavior is absolutely unacceptable,
> no matter how many people "vote" to do so.

This is a bad thing? Whatever happened to that "spreading free content"
goal we had? Or does that only apply on the internet?

There probably aren't many offline reusers because they're either
entirely non-compliant and we have no idea that they exist or they want
to be compliant, read the terms of the GFDL, and decide not to bother
with our content.
--
Alex (wikipedia:en:User:Mr.Z-man)