[Foundation-l] What to do with moribund languages?

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 11:07:40 UTC 2009

2009/1/4 Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com>:
> As far as I know, _all_ new languages are supposed to show their
> possibility at the incubator nowadays, which to me means that there is
> no need for a separate policy on these languages. My proposal would
> be:
> * Give a warning to the proposer that the language edition is likely to fail
> * Maybe be a bit stricter before allowing the language out of the
> incubator (larger languages might get away with a bit lower
> requirements because there is some 'expected future activity' to
> compensate)

Indeed, no new policy is needed, but the massive multilingualism of
WikiMedia could become a ground for revitalization of moribund
languages. I'd be glad to see WMF supporting such initiatives, if the
people who propose them prove that they are serious.

Many such languages are spoken in Russia, for example. So, how much
would this cost:
* Plain ticket to Russia.
* 10 laptops
* A few days of training: how to login to WP, how to edit, how to
scan, OCR, and proofread.

Wouldn't that be a tiny small fraction of those $6M?

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni

heb: http://haharoni.wordpress.com | eng: http://aharoni.wordpress.com
cat: http://aprenent.wordpress.com | rus: http://amire80.livejournal.com