[Foundation-l] dumps

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 15:53:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> Accepted by whom?  Co-lo a box on the Internet, and ask the Foundation for
> permission to create the dump.  A single thread downloading articles to a
> single server isn't going to impact the project.  It probably wouldn't even
> be *noticed*.

It would also take even longer than the Wikimedia dumps.  Say 500ms
average to request a single revision.  Multiply by 250,000,000
revisions.  I get a figure of four years.  You're going to need a lot
more than a single thread to get a remotely recent dump.  You probably
couldn't even keep up with the rate of new revision creation with a
single thread blocking on each HTTP request.