[Foundation-l] dumps

Felipe Ortega glimmer_phoenix at yahoo.es
Wed Feb 25 23:32:34 UTC 2009

--- El mié, 25/2/09, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> escribió:

> De: Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>
> Asunto: Re: [Foundation-l] dumps
> Para: "Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List" <foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
> Fecha: miércoles, 25 febrero, 2009 5:26
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Brian
> <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:
>
> Which uncompressed dump?  The full history English
> Wikipedia dump doesn't
> exist, and there doesn't seem to be any demand for this
> anyway.

Mmmm, sorry but then, I'm afraid that you missed some messages over the past year and a half on Wikitech-l, eagerly asking for the whole version of the English dump.

Just to give a straightforward application: people analyzing Wikipedia from a quantitative point of view need the whole dump file, no matter what do you want to examine. And believe it or not, the number of scholars (in different disciplines) focusing on this topic is growing steadily (actually, we could be many more if we could have a stable process, updated with reasonable frequency ;) ).

It's also really difficult for people like me to advocate in favor of this line of research when we have such problems, though we found the way to accept these limitations so far (better something than nothing).

Best,

F.