[Foundation-l] Simple English Encyclopedia

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Feb 25 11:21:28 UTC 2009

Andrew Gray wrote:

> This is quite an interesting thought. The language used by
> Simple English is (apparently) derived from two defined
> "simplified versions" of English which were deliberately
> designed - have there been projects to do the same for, say,
> French or Spanish, or would we have to do the heavy lifting
> ourselves?

Work for easy-to-read Swedish was started in 1968, and since 1987
operates as a government-sponsored foundation, described in this
Swedish Wikipedia article,
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrum_f%C3%B6r_l%C3%A4ttl%C3%A4st

On that Swedish foundation's website, you can also find
information about them in English, French, German, and Spanish,
http://www.lattlast.se/

(Le Centre Facile à Lire; La fundación sueca de nombre Centro de
Lectura Fácil)

Someone should compile an article on en.wikipedia about such
initiatives in various countries.  The article [[Simple English]]
branches out to various special forms, but doesn't provide the
international overview of the topic.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)