[Foundation-l] Simple English Encyclopedia

Brian Salter-Duke b_duke at bigpond.com.au
Mon Feb 23 02:12:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 01:03:12 +0000, Al Tally <majorly.wiki at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:57 AM, Brian Salter-Duke
><b_duke at bigpond.com.au>wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 23:31:47 +0000, Chris Down <
>> neuro.wikipedia at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > I see no '100 edits at meta' restriction. Am I missing something?
>>

>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Proposals_for_closing_projects%2FClosure_of_Simple_English_(2)_Wikipedia&diff=1400782&oldid=1400771<http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Proposals_for_closing_projects%2FClosure_of_Simple_English_%282%29_Wikipedia&diff=1400782&oldid=1400771>
>>
>> and
>>

>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Proposals_for_closing_projects/Closure_of_Simple_English_(2)_Wikipedia&diff=next&oldid=1401650<http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Proposals_for_closing_projects/Closure_of_Simple_English_%282%29_Wikipedia&diff=next&oldid=1401650>
>>

> As pointed out, the user in question has not provided a link to a home
> project, to prove they have some sort of standing in the community. If this
> sort of practice was accepted, I could just go and register several accounts
> and vote how I wanted to skew the discussion. Voters have to have *some*
> sort of eligibility. We generally ask for 100 edits to any project. You miss
> the point where it says *any* project, not just Meta. A user's first edit to
> come and vote on such a proposal is not normally the sort of edit an editor
> would make. A link to a home project should be provided so the validity of
> the vote can be checked.

Yes, I missed the point about "any" project. However how is a user from
Simple who hears about the closure of their project to know that when
they go there to give their opinion, they have to prove their standing
in the community? I think this is just another example of how remote
Meta is for the average editor on other projects.

I thought your comment in the firts link above was a bit bitey.

Brian.

          Brian Salter-Duke            b_duke at bigpond.net.au
[[User:Bduke]] is single user account with en:Wikipedia main account.
       Also on Meta-Wiki, Wikiversity, fr:Wikipedia and others.
Treasurer, Wikimedia Australia Inc,    Go Wikimedia Australia Inc, Go!