[Foundation-l] Simple English Encyclopedia

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 00:16:32 UTC 2009

2009/2/22 Brian Salter-Duke <b_duke at bigpond.com.au>:
> I am rather disturbed at the discussion on meta here:-
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_closing_projects/Closure_of_Simple_English_(2)_Wikipedia
>
> about closing this project and I am surpried that the issue has not come
> up here. While the consensus is clearly against closure, so it likely
> will not happen, there are issues. Is this kind of discussion on Meta
> really the best way to handle this kind of issue? I am particularly
> concerned about the suggestion that only meta regulars (with more than
> 100 edits there) can contribute. This prevents or at least discourages
> the users of Simple from going to Meta to comment. I also wonder whether
> Simple editors really know about this issue, although I see it is
> mentioned on their main page.

If it's mentioned on their main page, one would hope they know about
it. Do you have a better way of informing them? The discussion has to
take place somewhere, meta seems the best option (the only obvious
alternative is to have closure discussions on the project in question,
but that would most likely result in few people from other projects
being involved, which is a bad thing). As others have pointed out,
there is no requirement to be active on meta, just active on some
Wikimedia project.

Projects are not closed without significant discussion and a clear
consensus and the procedure we have seems to be the best way to
achieve that. If you have a better procedure, please do speak up.